Came across this quote which hit home, especially #2. I can, at times, forget that I'm truly blessed and have need of nothing. We, espcially my kids, are very fortunate to not know what it is to really be hungry (despite their protests). There's plenty of food in our house, a roof over our heads, warm beds to sleep in, my kids are healthy and we have lots of love to share.
12 Rules to Live By
Robert Louis Stevenson
- Make up your mind to be happy. Learn to find pleasure in simple things.
- Make the best of circumstances. No one has everything and everyone has something of sorrow.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously.
- Don’t let criticism worry you. You can’t please everybody.
- Don’t let your neighbors set your standards; be yourself.
- Do things you enjoy doing but stay out of debt.
- Don’t borrow trouble. Imaginary things are harder to bear than actual ones.
- Since hate poisons the soul, do not cherish enmities and grudges. Avoid people who make you unhappy.
- Have many interests. If you can’t travel, read about places.
- Don’t hold post-mortems or spend time brooding over sorrows and mistakes.
- Do what you can for those less fortunate than yourself.
- Keep busy at something. A very busy person never has time to be unhappy.